Re: Exim authentication

Hi!

> I see two problems.
> 1) If you used the authenticator Mark supplied,
> then the data the client sent is wrong.  The client
> sent 3 strings -- the empty string, then the
> username, then the password.  The authenticator Mark
> supplied expects the username first and the
> password second.

I have used:

plain:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = PLAIN
  server_condition = "${if pam{$2:$3}{1}{0}}"
  server_set_id = $2

login:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = LOGIN
  server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::"
  server_condition = "${if pam{$2:$3}{1}{0}}"
  server_set_id = $2

as is written in Exim specifications. And I use
MIME encoded '\0user\0password' (\0 are NULL).

Is this correct? Will mail clients use such line
too?

> 2) Is linux a system that requires root access to
use
> PAM?

As Vineet Kumar said it is.

So what is wrong? As I see exim uses correct strings
for username and password and use PAM which returns
that password isn't correct.

I use this pam.d/exim file:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_unix.so