Re: digital camera recommendation?

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 04:29:25PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:10:49PM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Henry House wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone recommend a digital camera for use with Linux? My goals (in no
> > > particular order):
> > >
> > > * Good image quality
> > > * Uses compact flash (the little wafers, each as large as an air-mail stamp)
> > > * Complete Linux compatibility with OSS drivers
> > > * Linux-friendly manufacturer
> > >
> > > Any experiences that you can share would be helpful to me.
> >
> > Considering that digital cameras can cost as little as a hundred bucks
> > or so or as much as $5000, you might want to specify the price range
> > you're interested in. Maybe also some technical details like pixel
> > count, whether you want to use external lenses or flash units, and so
> > on.
>
> Fair enough. I want to spend at most $US 500. I can get the list pf supported
> cameras from the GPhoto website; I suppose what I want to know the most is,
> which companies are Linux-friendly? I want to buy from a company that has
> been forthcoming with specs, has not tried to sue developers, etc.

I have an Olympus C-700UZ which I think is about $500.  It is a
usb-storage device, so it is not supported by gphoto, but it works well
with linux.  Just connect the usb cable, mount the camera and copy the
photos.

The best thing is that it has a 10x optical zoom, so you can take good
pictures of stuff that is far away.

I can't tell you how well-behaved Olympus are, but I haven't had
problems with my camera.

You can see some photos taken with the camera at
http://sights.seindal.dk/sight/657.html .  If you pick the horizontal
photos and follow the links to the original, you should be raw off the
camera files with exif info and everything.  The vertical photos have
been rotated, so information has been lost in the process.

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)              http://www.seindal.dk/rene/