Re: digital camera recommendation?

Henry House wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a digital camera for use with Linux? My goals (in no
> particular order):
>
> * Good image quality
> * Uses compact flash (the little wafers, each as large as an air-mail stamp)
> * Complete Linux compatibility with OSS drivers
> * Linux-friendly manufacturer
>
> Any experiences that you can share would be helpful to me.

Considering that digital cameras can cost as little as a hundred bucks
or so or as much as $5000, you might want to specify the price range
you're interested in. Maybe also some technical details like pixel
count, whether you want to use external lenses or flash units, and so
on.

I have a Canon G2, which is a 4 megapixel camera that typically sells
for US$800 or so. It can use Canon external flash units, uses CF cards,
and has a USB interface. Allegedly, gphoto2 works with it, but I wasn't
able to get it to work; gphoto2 insisted the camera wasn't there,
although the kernel's USB device list said it was. That turned out all
to the good, though, because I ended up buying a San Disk SDDR-31 USB CF
card reader, which works with Linux 2.4 kernels with the USB mass
storage driver. So now, instead of turning on my camera and plugging it
into a USB cable, I just pull out the CF card and plug it into the San
Disk reader. Works beautifully.

Craig