Re: ensoniq 5880 kernel support

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:02:24 +0200
Jan Groenewald <jan@cs.sun.ac.za> wrote:

> > thank you very much for the answer. I've compiled my kernel with the
> > sb module, and the problem remains the same, I cannot get sound as
> > root (I think that if I get sound as root then I can modify the
> > permissions in order to get sound as normal user). Everything is OK
> > with the cdrom, the device is recognized, and even gtcd runs,
> > playing the CD without any sound as output... I wonder what is going
> > wrong... Marcelo,
>
> Any messages on boot-up about sb module?
> Try $cat somefile.au>/dev/audio.
> Speakers working? plugged in? :)
>
> regards,
> jan

Jan,

the output at boot is the following:

Jun 19 16:27:32 nostromo kernel: Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C)
by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996 Jun 19 16:27:32 nostromo kernel: sb: I/O,
IRQ, and DMA are mandatory

so, I am afraid that I have to go over the I/O, IQR and DMA settings...
but I wonder where is the place for do it in xconfig. The kernel is
compiled with plug and pray support, it doesn't help at all?

speakers are plugged in. I will test the speakers in another machine
however..

Thanks again!!

Regards,
Marcelo