ensoniq 5880 kernel support

Hello!

I've compiled a new 2.4.18 kernel for my woody system. However, the
sound system doesn't work. The installed sound card, as showed by the
lspci command, is:

00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)

the nearest option in the xconfig menu is the support for Ensoniq Audio
PCI (ES1370), so I compiled this one into the kernel. But I am afraid
that this is not the correct option, because I can't get sound even
playing  gtcd as root... any suggestion will be very welcome!

TIA

Marcelo
--
Marcelo Chiapparini