Re: 'Semi-Hot-Swap' of IDE discs

Hello nate / list.

[...]

> second if you don't fork out the cash for a ide hot swap backplane your
> best bet I think would be to get a good removable disk drive holder,
> and before removing the disk, power it down using hdparm. be sure nothing
> is using the disk(no mounted filesystems etc). and you can possibly
> remove it and replace it with another drive of the EXACT same type(same
> model, same size, same cylinders, same heads etc), and power the drive up.

This sounds pretty much what I do.  I use one disk to transfer things
from my work (with internet connection) to my home net (without int.
con.).

Unmounting, spinning down and removing the disk works fine.  However
when I plug the disk in again and try to mount it the computer hangs (or
at least seems to, I haven't waited more than some minute).  That is the
same disk, but it still doesn't work.

Is there a way to force the disk to "spin up" before trying to mount
it?  There don't seem to be a "reverse -Y option" to hdparm, does anyone
know of any other utility that might be worth trying?

Best regards,

// Emil