Re: 'Semi-Hot-Swap' of IDE discs - bios

hi ya

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, nate wrote:

> <quote who="Alexander Steinert">
> > Dear list,
> >
> > for backup purposes (on i386 architecture) I'm planning the purchase of
> > two 60GB-IDE discs, an exchange frame [right word?] and a
> > PCI-IDE-Controller Card. SCSI is no option due to the huge difference in
> > the price, at least here in Germany.
> >
> > Since my knowledge about IDE/ATA is near zero I'm curious if it is
> > possible to swap IDE disks without shutting down the PC. Of course most
> > of the time and especially on exchange the disc will not be mounted.
> >
> > I know that there are (expensive) exchange frames made for this purpose,
> > but is this the only way? Do you know controller cards which can handle
> > this? What about a self-installed switch to turn the disc off before
> > swapping?

for a 386-based machine...

i think that the bios will have to be checked to see if it supports
c/h/s ( cylinder/head/sector ) for a 60GB drive.. probably wont...
	- 504MB, 8GB disk limits, 32GB disk limits, 128GB limits, etc..
	( depending on bios .... using chs/echs/lba/lba32 ... )

	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Disks/

	- "user defined" doesnt necessarily mean you can address 60GB...

	- you'd be better off using a new el-cheapo mb ( $60 stuff )
	  with a $75 1Ghz celerons

drive bays ( exchange frames ) are about $10 for el cheapo...
and about $80 for hot-swap-cappable scsi drive bays

no such thing as ide hot swap ??? ( imho )
	- the kernel writting data to the disk will attempt to writ to
	the disk.. and if the disk gets unplugged... question is will
	it retry to write it like the scsi drivers will attempt ??

	- lots of fun and crashed systems to test "hotswap"...

c ya
alvin