"Semi-Hot-Swap" of IDE discs

Dear list,

for backup purposes (on i386 architecture) I'm planning the purchase of
two 60GB-IDE discs, an exchange frame [right word?] and a
PCI-IDE-Controller Card. SCSI is no option due to the huge difference in
the price, at least here in Germany.

Since my knowledge about IDE/ATA is near zero I'm curious if it is
possible to swap IDE disks without shutting down the PC. Of course most
of the time and especially on exchange the disc will not be mounted.

I know that there are (expensive) exchange frames made for this purpose,
but is this the only way? Do you know controller cards which can handle
this? What about a self-installed switch to turn the disc off before
swapping?

TIA

Stony