Re: Can't get audio to work

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 12:41 am, you wrote:
> The 'K7' builds are only for us who run AMD Athlons.  I thought I
> made this point in my previous message, but obviously not.

Not sure what you mean.  Last I heard the Duron, Thunderbird, and XP are
all part of the Athlon product line.  I have a 950 MHZ Duron with a
Socket A motherboard.

> So when you do an 'apt-cache search asla-modules' (BTW, learn to love
> apt-cache, it will save your skin many times), you get:
>
> coffee (steve)$ apt-cache search alsa-modules
> alsa-modules-2.4.16-386 - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (drivers)
> alsa-modules-2.4.16-586 - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (drivers)
> alsa-modules-2.4.16-586tsc - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
> (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.16-686 - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
> (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.16-686-smp - Advanced Linux Sound
> Architecture (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.16-k6 - Advanced Linux Sound
> Architecture (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.16-k7 - Advanced Linux Sound
> Architecture (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.18-386 - Advanced Linux Sound
> Architecture (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.18-586tsc - Advanced Linux
> Sound Architecture (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.18-686 - Advanced Linux
> Sound Architecture (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.18-686-smp - Advanced
> Linux Sound Architecture (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.18-k6 - Advanced
> Linux Sound Architecture (drivers) alsa-modules-2.4.18-k7 - Advanced
> Linux Sound Architecture (drivers)
>
> So if you're running a pII or higher, you'll want to use the
> alsa-modules-2.4.18-686 (this, of course, assumes that you're kernel
> image comes from the package 'kernel-image-686'.  So perhaps the
> first order of business is determining which kernel image you're
> using.  Did you roll you own?  If so, you'll have to rebuild with the

Yes.  I downloaded the tar.gz from kernel.org.  I couldn't get the k7
dpkg to boot - said it couldn't mount the root file system.  No matter
how I messed with initrd=<whatever> it still wouldn't do it.  Compiling
the source myself I was able to get 2.4.18 to boot without the initrd=
section in lilo.conf.

> alsa modules as well.  If you're (as I am) lazy and installed from a
> package, it will be a little less painful.

I found out the hard way that it's not wise to wholly trust someone else
with my system.  On programs I *have* to rely on I'm getting away from
relying on a pre-compiled package, and building them myself.

> If you didn't builid you're own kernel, what shows up when you do
> 'ls /lib/modules'?  Let us know.

$ ls /lib/modules
2.2.20  2.4.18  2.4.18-k6-2  2.4.18.COMPILE  2.4.18.KEEP

The first two I can boot from.  The k6 kernel is one I compiled on this
box for my k6 pc.  It takes about 30 minutes to compile it here,
several hours on the k6 box.  The latter two are for my personal
reference to give me a frame of reference when I screw up a build.

> Hang in there, chief.  We'll get this figured out. ;)

Thanks.  I *really* appreciate the help.

No matter which route I take, it would appear that the next step is to
recompile the kernel.  Heh, guess it's time to try the kpkg route.

Glen