Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On 18 Jun 2002 15:01:22 -0000
grante@visi.com (Grant Edwards) wrote:

> In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:
>
> > What that whole Servicecontract stuff basically boils down to is
> > that the customer wants somebody he can:
> >
> > a. complain to and scream at and
>
> While I try to keep the screaming to a minimum, I do sometimes
> complain (and on a particulary bad day even whine) on mailing
> lists.  People generally explain why my problem is of my own
> making and explain what I can do to solve the problem.
>
> > b. sue for damages
>
> HA!  That's a laugh!

Not all servicecontracts are being handeled by M$ plus if you got an
issue you almost always get something out of it.

More important is jobsecurity for whoever is responsible. The bigger the
problem the higher up in the corporate foodchain it ends up being
discussed.
Now if you are resposible for a system you know that.
You also know that your boss maybe has some understanding of the issues
involved but the higher it goes the less knowledge is there.
I want you see tell a CEO of a company:
Well Sir we have a little IT problem.
There are 3000 people sitting in front of a black screen and our
customers can't reach us.
Oh, and by the way 50 of our planes are going to crash in about 1 hour.
But don't worry - I did send a question about it to the mailinglist.

Good luck with your new job in a completly different field then.