Re: "Semi-Hot-Swap" of IDE discs

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 15:09, Alexander Steinert wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> for backup purposes (on i386 architecture) I'm planning the purchase
> of two 60GB-IDE discs, an exchange frame [right word?] and a
> PCI-IDE-Controller Card. SCSI is no option due to the huge difference
> in the price, at least here in Germany.
>
> Since my knowledge about IDE/ATA is near zero I'm curious if it is
> possible to swap IDE disks without shutting down the PC. Of course
> most of the time and especially on exchange the disc will not be
> mounted.
>
> I know that there are (expensive) exchange frames made for this
> purpose, but is this the only way? Do you know controller cards which
> can handle this? What about a self-installed switch to turn the disc
> off before swapping?

Standard IDE controllers _may_ support it, but there's no guarantee for
it. You'd probably be best off if you have a closer look at IDE RAID
controllers.

But if you seriously want to do backups, you should have a look at tape
drives. Harddisks, especially IDE disks are in no way a safe medium.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!