Re: Can't get audio to work

> Glen: Don't get your panties in a wad. It's easy to get offended on
> email lists if you have a thin skin. Alex's posting was generally
> accurate, if a bit harsh (although it didn't apply in this case
> because you asked for a howto, not for direct help) . Ya gotta learn
> to spot those smilies and weigh them more heavily than the hot words
> in the posting.
>
> I'd encourage you two to kiss and make up, but I'm afraid the damage
> has been done.

Kent, I won't defend what I wrote, but by way of explanation: I had one
quality server (Red Hat) that crashed during upgrade a few weeks back.
It has several years of customizations and programming work on it that
I can't afford to lose.  Unfortunately I didn't have the budget to buy
another quality server.  So when the upgrade failed, I lost a lot of
the customizations, plus I have a couple hundred people who rely
heavily on that server wanting to burn me in effigy.  They won't blame
Red Hat.  After all, it was my decision to upgrade to 7.3.  Not Red
Hat's.

A couple of weeks back I found a special at PC Adventures - a bare
bones computer for $179.00 US.  AMD Duron 950 MHZ with floppy and built
in 10/100 nic.  No hd, cdrom, operating system nor memory.  I swore
after the last Red Hat crash that I'd never again install Red Hat, so
this box has only seen Debian on it.

Being brand new to Debian, and in a real desperate situation here, I've
been trying to get the web sites, mail, mailman list program, MyPHPNuke
boards, etc., up and running.  I've posted several letters to the list
asking for help in various areas.  I've received some great replies.
But I've received just as many replies from idiots who left the subject
line of my letter the same but who wrote only to complain that
something was wrong with the way I posted the letter - no Reply-to:
field, line wrap not set at 72, real stupid stuff that has nothing to
do with my post.  Can you imagine what it's like to be sitting here on
pins and needles desperately hoping for an answer from those
experienced with Debian so I can get the 200 irate people off my back,
only to open the letter to find someone bellyaching that my line wrap
isn't set to 72?  That does very little positive for the disposition!

Kent, there are people on this list who really need to get a life.

> So, your next best bet is probably to search the Debian Mail List
> archives, and then to post specific questions to this list. However,

So I can become the prime target at another turkey shoot?

> to get you started, I offer the following suggestions.

> Find out what sound card you have. According to your post above, it's
> an AC'97 variant. It has been my experience that that's kind of a
> general label, like having an Intel Pentium; do you mean Pentium
> 5-120, or Pentium III, or what? To get more info, the "lspci" utility
> is quite helpful. If you run it, you should see something like:
>
> Mon Jun 17   21:22:33
> -----------
> EnJaeLove[westk]:/home/westk> sudo lspci
> Password:
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 [IGD4-1P]
> System Controller (rev 12)
> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 [IGD4-1P]
> AGP Bridge
> 00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super
> South] (rev 40)
> 00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
> 00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 16)
> 00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 16)
> 00:07.4 SMBus: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
> (rev 40) 00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
> 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev
> 20) 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128
> PF/PRO AGP 4x TMDS
>
> Notice that my sound "card" is also an AC'97, but more specifically
> it's on a motherboard with a VIA chipset, and the sound chip is the
> VT82C686. So I'd search the Debian Mailing Lists for "vt82c686".
>
> You'll find that there are several sound "solutions" floating around.
> The two most common are OSS (Open Sound System) and ALSA (something
> something something Architecture). If you want to try the OSS route,
> I'd download the newest kernel source I felt comfortable with
> (2.4.18) and compile a kernel with the appropriate module/built-in
> support for the vt82c686 chipset. If you wanted to go the ALSA route,
> you'd need to download some ALSA packages. I believe the ALSA
> solution may be more newbie-friendly, but I'm not that conversant
> with it.
>
> For now, I'd recommend you to run "lspci" and then post the results
> here and see if anyone has any further suggestions.

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host (rev 02)
00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev
d0)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 85C503/5513
00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900
10/100 Ethernet (rev 82)
00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (rev 07)
00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (rev 07)
00:01.4 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
SiS PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 02)
00:01.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]: Unknown device 7013
(rev a0)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5591/5592 AGP
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
SiS630 GUI Accelerator+3D (rev 31)

I compiled the SiS audio module into the kernel.  Question: does the
above actually state that I have an SiS audio card on the system, or
does it just state that I have a slot for a sound card?  (Please no
rude comments from anyone.  If I knew the answer to that question I
wouldn't have asked it).

Now what?

Glen