Re: Can't get audio to work

On Sunday 16 June 2002 06:03 pm, you wrote:
> On Jun 16, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> > I can't get audio to work.  I have the following sound card that is
> > built into the motherboard:
> >
> >    Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> > SiS PCI   Audio Accelerator (rev 02)
> >
> > I have the driver for it compiled into the kernel (2.4.18).
> >
> > I have added myself to the audio group.
> >
> > Is there a step-by-step howto of how to set up audio on Debian.  If
> > not, suggestions?
>
> maybe a description of what happens when you try to play a tune.  I
> would personnaly recommend compiling as a module so you can
> load/unload as you please for experimentation.
>
> Do you see a sound card entry in /proc/interupts, /proc/ioports or
> /proc/dma?
>
> what happens if you do:
>
> cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
>
> do you get static or not, an error message, for heavens sake man give
> us something? :)
>
> If you get no error message or strange 'hung' style noises you
> probably just have your mixer settings right down low (or
> muted)......install 'nmixer' or something similar and try again with
> the mixer settings dealt with.
>
> Can you see the mixer settings.....
>
> please as a word of ettiqutte, in future post 'useful' problem
> reports.  All that then happens is a generic response is sent out,
> which normally involves the reply containing information that should
> of been in the original e-mail. 'Requests' like this are normally
> passed over and ignored by mailing list/newsgroup roamers......you
> are lucky this time mear luser :)

Alex,

I would like to thank you for your arrogant, obnoxious reply to my
letter.  It's people like you that keep Windows users using Windows.
The reason I asked for a step by step howto for setting up sound is
because I don't have a clue where to begin or what to look for.  If I
could have provided you with all the answers to your questions before
you asked them, I wouldn't have needed your help, now, would I?  When I
used Red Hat I didn't need to ask how to set sound up.  It worked from
the get go.  That isn't the case with Debian.  So now I need a complete
tutorial from a-z on how sound works in Linux so I can trouble shoot.
It might be Debian.  It might be the computer.  This is a new computer.
 I'm not even sure it came with a sound card.  But I don't know how to
find out.  Don't tell me to read the documentation that came with it.
It's written in geek.

  "The mainboard has a built-in AC'97 4Ch Codec, provides an AMR
   slot..."

Please don't ever respond to my posts, even if you have the answer.  I
have better things to do with my time than to sort through your
rudeness.

Glen