Re: Can't get audio to work

On Jun 16, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:

> I can't get audio to work.  I have the following sound card that is
> built into the motherboard:
>
>    Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS
>     PCI   Audio Accelerator (rev 02)
>
> I have the driver for it compiled into the kernel (2.4.18).
>
> I have added myself to the audio group.
>
> Is there a step-by-step howto of how to set up audio on Debian.  If
> not, suggestions?

maybe a description of what happens when you try to play a tune.  I would
personnaly recommend compiling as a module so you can load/unload as you
please for experimentation.

Do you see a sound card entry in /proc/interupts, /proc/ioports or /proc/dma?

what happens if you do:

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

do you get static or not, an error message, for heavens sake man give us
something? :)

If you get no error message or strange 'hung' style noises you probably just
have your mixer settings right down low (or muted)......install 'nmixer' or
something similar and try again with the mixer settings dealt with.

Can you see the mixer settings.....

please as a word of ettiqutte, in future post 'useful' problem reports.  All
that then happens is a generic response is sent out, which normally involves
the reply containing information that should of been in the original e-mail.
'Requests' like this are normally passed over and ignored by mailing
list/newsgroup roamers......you are lucky this time mear luser :)

Alex

--
/ He who fears the unknown may one day \