Re: autodetect floppy filesystem type

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 01:59:56PM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
| I have a question about "floppies".  First, quaint, aren't they?  OK,
| In /etc/fstab:
|     /dev/fd0 /floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0

That's normal.

| But doesn't that mean that if I insert a "unformatted" or "scrambled"
| floppy, it will fail auto detection as to what file system type it is
| and one will not be able to proceed?

Correct.  It is impossible to mount something that isn't a filesystem.

| Wait, I see there's fdformat(8), etc.

If the floppy isn't formatted, you need to format it.  I just use
'mkfs'.  (eg  'mkfs -t vfat /dev/fd0')

| By the way, are most of the floppys out there "vfat" or "msdos" aside
| from "linux rescue disks"?

Or Mac (UFS?).  Or minix.  Or whatever you decide to make them.
Certainly most floppies are "vfat" because most PCs are "windows".

| Anyways, I have to see Chinese file names, so I used
|     /dev/fd0 /floppy auto defaults,user,noauto,iocharset=cp950 0 0
| But would this have adverse effects if the file system isn't vfat etc.?

Dunno, try it :-).  You'll probably get an invalid option message.

On way you could solve that quandry is to have separate mount points
for the disks and separate fstab entries.

HTH,
-D

--

After you install Microsoft Windows XP, you have the option to create
user accounts.  If you create user accounts, by default, they will have

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/