Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On 2002.06.17 05:26 Jan Johansson wrote:
> you've got to be new around here. there isn't enough salt in
> the world to
> make your hat tasty enough to retract the last sentence
> above. go directly to
> jail. do not pass go. do not, under any circumstances,
> attempt to collect
> anything at all. bye-bye.

Well, there is a valid point in there. I would never "bet my job" on a
mailing list. I do however "bet my job" on a cpl of redhat systems,
why? Becuase my employer DOES have a support _contract_ with redhat,
making me stay hired even if the box keels over. Would i be able to
sort a deb system out with the help of the list? Heck yes, been doing
unix for a living for some eight years. But i still cant get a
_contract_ on deb support from the list, which is what my employer
requires for a mission critical server.

An alternative you may want to look at if you're serious about deploying Debian in a corporate environment is third party support services. Most linux distros, and indeed most free/open source software in general, do not provide their own contractual support. There are, however, several companies out there that do provide SLA contract support as their main business. LinuxCare and Cygnus before they were bought out come to mind. You may want to shop around, see if there are any local companies that might meet your needs as well.

Good luck,
Ian