Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 11:27, ben wrote:
> On Monday 17 June 2002 12:27 am, Andrew Fowler wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 02:22, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:
> > IMO there's more to it that just psychology.  There used to be (still is
> > ??) a saying that you wouldn't get fired for buying MS.  Redhat are
> > doing a good job of taking up that position in the Linux world where a
> > support contract acts like a 'get-out-of-jail-free' card since it allows
> > you to pass the buck onto RH if/when things do go wrong.  Mailing lists
> > cannot compete with that.
> >

> you've got to be new around here. there isn't enough salt in the world to
> make your hat tasty enough to retract the last sentence above. go directly to
> jail. do not pass go. do not, under any circumstances, attempt to collect
> anything at all. bye-bye.
>
> ben

No intention of retracting it.  But I will expand:  The above was in
no-way meant to be a measure or comparison of quality, speed etc.
between contractual support and enthusiasts' mailing lists.  I'd
personally rather go with mailing lists any day BUT the one who's head
is for the chop when things go wrong is often not (only) the admin, but
the IT boss, and in my experience, they'd all rather have the safety net
below them in the form of a support contract from a nice big company
that even the board of managers have heard of (e.g. RH) !

That's my experience.

Andz

P.S.  Sorry ben, wasn't meant to go to you directly