ethernet on Soyo Dragon Plus w/ VIA chipset

I have a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard with an onboard ethernet port.  I
recently tried installing debian and haven't been able to get the ethernet port
to work.  I tried the via-rhine driver (via chipset on the motherboard) but it
wouldn't install.  I haven't had any luck searching the mailing list archive or
using Google.  The manual doesn't say much about the onboard ethernet port
other than it is handled in the south bridge chip which is a VIA VT8233CE.
Some help please?  I have limited experience with Debian, I got it working on
an older machine that I use as a router, but don't play with much now since I
got it working last year.  I'm using the 2.2r3 debian install CD since I
already had a copy of it burned.  I figured I'd upgrade once it was installed,
however that requires a working network connection...

Thanks
matt