Re: ghost email after reboot ???

Osamu =>

Thank you, for your participation.

Osamu Aoki wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 05:33:29PM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> > Oddly enough, every time I reboot, root receives eight (8) emails from
> > nearly one year ago -- long, long ago deleted.  Yes, the exact same
> > mail every time I reboot.  Since this is a server, I pickup that mail
> > remotely and always delete it immediately.  exim is set to forward
> > root's email to my account.  This recurring email is more than a year
> > old and no subsequently received and deleted emails appear like this.
> >
> > I've checked /root/mail/ -- for some reason, root doesn't use mbox --
> > nothing there now.  Also, it is not in my ~/mbox.
> >
> > I've checked /var/mail -- not even a root entry.  /var/mail/mds is
> > empty.
>
> Not that I know the answer but let me try ...
>
> Did you check /var/spool/exim/input/ contents?

No; but, now that I do, I find mail that I thought had been deleted
weeks ago -- *not* those messages that reappear after reboot, though.
Can I just delete these?

> What happens if you run "exim -qff" from root on that machine.

Takes nearly a minute to return to a prompt.

> What kind of mail is it?  Some message installation program created?

Mostly post-crash messages about nvi recovery files, system messages to
root, &c.

Any other ideas?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .