Re: Hosed my X11 install

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 12:24:40AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> So I decided to install debian on a laptop today.  I used a woody idepci
> boot disk I had from an install on a desktop not too long ago.  Then I
> proceeded to do a network install.
[...]
> Next problem is that the sources.list file that was written during the
> install was only for stable, not for woody, even though I used the woody
> idepci disk.  So any tasksel selections failed.

Makes some sense, when woody seems like it will be stable soon.

> I updated sources.list to woody then apt-get update / apt-get dist-upgrade
> and ran tasksel to install X11.  That installed X11 version 3.  In debconf
> I said that *I* would maintain my X config file.  I think that was a mistake.

Not necessarily, I have a laptop and the only way it will work with X is
if I manually maintain my X config file.

> I wanted X11 4.1 so I was a bit confused.  My other woody machine has 4.1
> yet I'm not sure how I installed it.
>
> I then updated sources.list to sid and upgraded.  Then apt-get install
> xserver-xfree86, which seems like that installed 4.1.
>
> The problem is not I don't have an XF86Config-4 file.

If you want debconf, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, otherwise run
xf86cfg, or xf86config.

> So, the question is: how do I remove all traces of X11, and then start
> clean and install X11 4.1?

I don't think you would need to remove X, but if you do, you can start
purging the packages in section x11 that have xfree86 listed as the
source package (easy way to see it is with aptitude, although it can be
done without it). To reinstall, you can apt-get install
x-window-system-core and then install your favourite window manager and
xterm.

> I'd just like the path of least resistance to a 2.4 kernel, and X11 4.1.
> And I'd also really like to get my SMC 802.11b card working so I can start
> using the laptop for things other than trying to install the OS.

Try waiting until X is working, then:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.<insert rest of desired kernel version>

Then you can try inserting the card to see if it is recognised. If it is
not, you can try a different kernel-image, or you can make your own.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com