Hosed my X11 install

So I decided to install debian on a laptop today.  I used a woody idepci
boot disk I had from an install on a desktop not too long ago.  Then I
proceeded to do a network install.

The idepci disk is nice, I believe, as it includes the EEpro LAN driver so
I can quickly move onto a network install without needing a bunch of device
disks.

Had a similar issue that I had before, where it tries to download the base
system from the US debian site and just sits there.  Sure wish there was
some type of progress read-out.  ^C and try different download sites
finally worked.

Next problem is that the sources.list file that was written during the
install was only for stable, not for woody, even though I used the woody
idepci disk.  So any tasksel selections failed.

I updated sources.list to woody then apt-get update / apt-get dist-upgrade
and ran tasksel to install X11.  That installed X11 version 3.  In debconf
I said that *I* would maintain my X config file.  I think that was a mistake.

I wanted X11 4.1 so I was a bit confused.  My other woody machine has 4.1
yet I'm not sure how I installed it.

I then updated sources.list to sid and upgraded.  Then apt-get install
xserver-xfree86, which seems like that installed 4.1.

The problem is not I don't have an XF86Config-4 file.

So, the question is: how do I remove all traces of X11, and then start
clean and install X11 4.1?

I believe this all should be easier than I'm making it...

I'd just like the path of least resistance to a 2.4 kernel, and X11 4.1.
And I'd also really like to get my SMC 802.11b card working so I can start
using the laptop for things other than trying to install the OS.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org