How to use rootstrap? (user-mode linux filesystem image builder)

Looking for anyone out there (Oki, I know you're one of 'em) who's
messing with UML.

I've got user-mode-linux installed, and have managed to boot it with the
base Debian Potato tarball (see
http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/UserModeLinux).  What I
can't for the life of me figure out is how to build a filesystem using
rootstrap.  Anyone out there who'se dont that and might be able to
augment the currently available docs?

It's also not clear, BTW, what's necessary to actually run UML.  The
existing UML docs don't particularly suggest that there are filesystem
images available, what's needed to build one, or where to download
existing ones if that's the route you want to go.

Other odds'n'ends.  What's the relationship between host and guest
bogomips in UML?  I'm seeing 1192.75 bogomips real, about 512 under UML.
Is this typical?

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/