Re: xine wants /dev/null - why?

<quote who="umidori kamome">
> Hey Yo Hoh!
>
> Sound doesnt work with xine here (its an es1371, does
> work under kde, xfce and progs like mpg321).
> In the "setup window", "audio" the default driver is
> "null" - not too cool! But even changing it to dsp or
> /dev/dsp (is the device wanted here or really a driver?)
> or es1371 doesnt have any effect at all.
> No sound and again "null" as soon as I change the tabs in
> the window (or restart the setup or the whole app).
> Whats going wrong here - is it my fault or something
> ugly?

what audio drivers are you using ? I have found for some
reason on my systems at least xine does not work with alsa,
i can never get it to work with alsa(even with the alsa oss
drivers), but once i switch to OSS drivers xine immediately
works ...i only use alsa on my laptops, my desktops all have
es1371 and use OSS, so i don't use alsa there.

null is just a way for xine to not use audio, it's not trying
to use /dev/null, one thing you can try is use the command line
switches. run xine -help to see what they are, you can try to force
xine to use a particular driver, it will usually crash if for
some reason it cannot(happens to me when i try to force it to use
alsa when my drivers are alsa, but if i switch drivers to oss and
tell it to use OSS, bang, it works)

nate