Re: Foreign Language with OpenOffice?

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 03:44:40PM -0600, Jorge Santos wrote:
> > Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:
> > > I appreciate your response. Could any one give me any guidance as to
> > > how this is done? Do I use the standard OpenOffice (English version)
> > > that I already have and just do something with locales or with kbd or
> > > something? Or do I download a special German version of OO? If the
> > > latter, does that mean the faculty will have to keep three or four
> > > instances of OO running at any one time? One for English, one for
> > > German, one for French, etc? Sorry I'm so ignorant of working with
> > > different languages.

About the user interface language:

The offical versions are completely seperate and you are expected to have a
complete openoffice tree for every user interface language, and I don't know
of any plans to improve that.

With the Debian packages, Martin Quinson has come up with a way of having
more than more user interface available.  The principle is, you copy the
language files in program/resource from each language's installation set
into the installed tree under program/resource.  Then, you can configure
OpenOffice to use a particular language by tweaking the XML configuration
file in the user's workstation install directory.  I guess you could do a
similar thing under Windows, too.

> Ok, this is nice but what about the user interface, I've seen that the
> are several languages for OpenOffice.org Debian packages, so that may
> be a solution if it fits your environment
Yes, we introduced that in -4, although -5 should be much better for this
(not yet uploaded)

> (i.e. if you are running
> unstable (I think it also runs on testing with few extra packages from
> unstable)
To be precise, you need to install just libgcc1 from unstable.

> , however I haven't tried them and I don't know about if you
> can configure the language for each individual user.  Does anyone
> know about this?
In -4, no.  In -5, yes - the language is selected according to the user's
locale(1).

Chris