Re: Foreign Language with OpenOffice?

Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org> writes:

> Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:
>

> > I appreciate your response. Could any one give me any guidance as to
> > how this is done? Do I use the standard OpenOffice (English version)
> > that I already have and just do something with locales or with kbd or
> > something? Or do I download a special German version of OO? If the
> > latter, does that mean the faculty will have to keep three or four
> > instances of OO running at any one time? One for English, one for
> > German, one for French, etc? Sorry I'm so ignorant of working with
> > different languages.
>
> Kent did you get any response to this?  I have been wrestling with a
> similar problem for my wife's benefit - she's Hungarian.
>
> 1. Make sure you have the necessary fonts installed.
> 2. Install OPenOffice
> 3. Change to the French/German keyboard map
>
> setxkbmap fr   ????
>
> Y0u should be able to type in French now, and print too.
>
> At least that's how it worked here - much easier than I had feared!
> There is a "setting up an international keyboard" HOWTO which was most
> helpful!

Ok, this is nice but what about the user interface, I've seen that the
are several languages for OpenOffice.org Debian packages, so that may
be a solution if it fits your environment (i.e. if you are running
unstable (I think it also runs on testing with few extra packages from
unstable), however I haven't tried them and I don't know about if you
can configure the language for each individual user.  Does anyone
know about this?

Greetings,

jorge