Re: RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic---SOLVED?

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 07:13:24AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:

| This isn't an adequate engineering solution to the problem since it is
| contrary to what I understood about the liloconfig system.

| What does work is:  linux mem=768M
| What was in lilo.conf that I removed was 'append "mem=128M" and a
| previously attempted line of 'append "mem=128M hda=autotune"'
|
| What I always understood was that if lilo.conf requested less RAM that
| physically existed, then the linux kernel would simply ignore everything
| else and proceed with the configured RAM instead of the actual RAM.

Maybe a bug in lilo?  Maybe lilo does something wrong with the initrd
if you specify an incorrect mem= option.  This is just a guess.  You
really shouldn't need any mem= in the first place, unless the BIOS is
broken.

-D

--

The nice thing about windoze is - it does not just crash,
it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'ok' first.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/