RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic

I got a really interesting one.

I am running a stock K7 kernel from woody.
I recall seeing such things as cramfs, VFS, and initrd during the boot sequence.

I upgraded my RAM to replace the current 128M to 768M

Now, when I boot it panics with a message that VFS can't mount the root device at 03:02.

If I return to the original RAM, it's fine.
When the BIOS boots up, it detects all of the necessary RAM without reporting any errors.

Is there anyway that some combination of cramfs, vfs, initrd has introduced a problem when I upgrade my RAM to a different amount than originally reported?

The hard drive is reported as the correct device and is detected.
It is mountable with the old RAM.  In fact, it works 100%.