Re: will configuration files get overwritten?

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 05:06:52AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> I hear some configuration files shouldn't be edited by hand, but
> should instead have dkpg-reconfigure run on them.  Will such files
> have warning messages every time in them saying how one should edit
> them, and also if the next time I update the package if they will get
> overwritten or not?

If *any* changes to configuration files (in /etc) are overwritten
without asking, then it's a bug, and you're entitled to complain loudly
about it. I think most of the maintainers who did this kind of thing
have now been coerced into doing something more sensible.

XF86Config may be an exception to this, as it's rather complicated to
start with. There are clear comments in the file about what to do,
though.

> E.g. some of the many cron.daily etc. files.

For the most part, those are dpkg-handled conffiles, and you will
definitely be prompted if your changes conflict with those in a package.