Re: where is xwindows in debian potato rev6

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 11:24:02PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> > > I strongly recommend you to read
> > >  http://www.debian.org
> > >  http://www.debian.org/doc and links
> > >  http://www.debian.org/distrib/
> > >  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
> > >  http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
> >
> > Most documents you mention advise to get a cd-set of Debian for a
> > first time install.
>
> Are you reading English version?  I thought I and Josip had few e-mail
> exchanges and Josip updated contents to reduce this impression.
>
> If you find some misleading web pages, please let us know in debian-www
> or send me a message detailing issues.
>
> > For someone new it's nice to know they can format their drives and
> > start all over when something (anything) goes wrong. Apt and
> > deselect are really great, but it does take some trial and error to
> > find that out.
>
> True. I can not argue with this.
>
> But should not they start with net-install CD image.  3 full CD images
> are too much.

I downloaded the first CD image, not all three of them. To answer
your question I went back to the documents I used to install the
system. There is no explicit advise to download complete ISOs. It's
either buying cds or downloading the netinstall. You are right about
that.

I just thought the netinstall was too scary. I was using Windows and
wanted to install Debian. I made bootfloppies and mounted the ISO
from my Windows-partition. Got the base system running, installed
pppoe and Lynx and the rest is history.

Since I wasn't sure I could get anything to work (i.e. network), I knew
I had at least access to the different packages.

In hindsight perhaps not the smartest move, everything
worked like a charm. But if it didn't it would have been awful to
boot into Windows for new software or information available on the
internet (rinse, wipe, repeat). To be honest, I would propably do it again :).

I think a lot of people who come to Debian for the first time start out
as lusers and then quickly become users. Perhaps the available information
regarding the install doesn't reflect that.

Bob