Re: where is xwindows in debian potato rev6

I strongly recommend you to read
 http://www.debian.org
 http://www.debian.org/doc and links
 http://www.debian.org/distrib/
 http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
 http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 06:10:06PM +0100, Kunal Shah wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I recently downloaded Debian Potato Distribution in 3
> cds.

OOps, this is waiste of bandwidth.  You must be ex-REDHAT variant user.

You only need few foppies (I do it with 2) to install potato.
Download only package you use.  If you upgrade to "testing" which is
very stable now, you will not use 99% of what you downloaded.

> I dumped everything into three directories in dos
> partition C:\debian\disk1, c:\debian\disk2 and
> c:\debian\disk3
>
> And then, I booted from dosutils and installed
> everything with apt-setup( I changed the source to
> file:/mnt/debian/disk1 potato main/contrib etc. )

Well this is one way :)

> But now, it has not installed xwindows.
                                       ^ No "s" needed. That's for M$.

Because you did not select it.

 # dselect update
 # tasksel

And select related items such as X window.

> Where is xwindows in debian potato rev6?
>
> It also did not install pine, fetchmail, iptables,
> squid, sendmail etc. Do I have to download tar.gz
> packages for these utilities or there are deb files
> available.

Also "dselect" is good start to find package.

 # dselect

There is almost nothing which is not packaged for Debian but you need to
track "testing" or "unstable" if you want latest.  Somewhat tricky but
doable.  Read my doc below.

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.