Re: ipchains, iptables, and 2.4.18

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 21:25, Chris Gushue wrote:
> Andrew Perrin wrote:
[snip]
> On my home router, I'm still using a 2.2 kernel. I tried 2.4 at one
> point, but found the ipmasq modules lacking (unless I missed something,
> which is likely). Overall, it shouldn't hurt to stick with ipchains
> unless there is something in iptables you need that ipchains doesn't do.
> A lot easier than migrating your existing scripts/rules, too.

Can you scrounge an old PC?  You only need 16MB RAM and a
500MB HDD for a great masquerading firewall.  (A great
reason to take it off of your box: if you shut your box down
(for what *ever* reason), others can still access the web.)

If you can find 2 ISA NICs, then a 486 is all you need,
or if a Pentium/K6/Cyrix, then you can use the eth1 from
your current box.  (A pentium-class box is more likely to
be bootable off CD, and that's a big plus.)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |