ext2 file recovery software

I have an ext2 partition which was formerly my working woody/sid system. Someone (not me) began a woody installation on that partition. Apparently a new file system was initialized destroying the first 500 blocks of a 4 GB partition.

I copied it with dd to another new partition on another drive and now want to try to recover some files.

I have found so far: debugfs, lde, tct and RLinux (for Windoze). I tried unsucessfully to run RLinux from Wine. I'm not sure how well the others will work for me. I have played with debugfs and lde and they seem awkward for what I need but maybe I just haven't figured them out yet.

Does anyone know of any other free software that will attempt to recognize inodes, directories and files? Otherwise I may have to write something of my own.

TIA,

Paul Scott