Re: ext2 file recovery software

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 06:30 , Paul Scott wrote:

I have an ext2 partition which was formerly my working woody/sid system. Someone (not me) began a woody installation on that partition. Apparently a new file system was initialized destroying the first 500 blocks of a 4 GB partition.

There are backup superblocks spaced throughout the partition. mke2fs (!) will be able to tell you where they are, if you used the default (make sure to give it the do nothing flag...).

Once you have the backup superblocks, e2fsck might be able to help you.

Make sure to only work on a copy. And read the man pages.