Re: question about Debian

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 05:45:53PM -0400, Eduardo Gargiulo wrote:
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
| >
| > Ok, now to the real answer -- I've been running various 2.4 kernels
| > since 2.4.7.  The kernels prior to 2.4.10 had some VM issues where it
| > would swap more than it should.  I've been running 2.4.18 for a long
| > time and haven't had any problems with it.
| >
| > What's *wrong* with them, from a release perspective, is
| >     o   they are newer
| >     o   they kept changing significantly during the early release
| >             cycle (more like a devel kernel than a stable one)
| >     o   they haven't had as much testing (stress, interoperability,
| >             esoteric hardware)
| >     o   the only thing *wrong* with a 2.2 kernel is it doesn't have
| >             the new features in 2.4
| >     o   new features surely mean new bugs to be worked out
| >
| > From a *release perspective*, 2.2 is a safer decision than 2.4.  You
| > wouldn't want woody to be uninstallable or have weird stability
| > problems on people's machines, now would you?  Thus 2.2 is the default
| > while 2.4 is still a choice for those who want it.
|
| iptables is the only thing that force me use 2.4 family. Is it possible
| to run iptables under 2.2 kernels?

No.  You would first have to backport a complete rewrite of the
network filtering code, and if you did that you might as well just use
2.4 :-).

If you really want to use a 2.2 kernel, do you really need iptables?
2.2 kernels have ipchains, and kernel 2.4 has compatibility interfaces
for using ipchains or even ipfwadm.  If you want iptables, is running
a 2.4 kernel all that bad?  (I would say 'no' because I've been using
2.4 for months.)

-D

--

If Microsoft would build a car...
... Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You

Jabber ID : dman@dman.ddts.net