Re: RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:59:14 -0400
"Tom Allison" <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:

> Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>
> >Have you tested the new memory?  Memtest86 is a great tool for doing
> >just this.
>
> I can't get it to boot in order to test it.

Memtest is it's own stand alone item.  There is no need to boot into an OS
to run it (it can however be added to your boot manager).  The normal
package will create a bootable floppy that you can use to test your
system.

http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/

> I was assuming that since it was detected and was able to start booting
> from /dev/hda that it was in part, OK.
> It also boots from the Debian Installation CD.  Does that CD have
> memtest86?
>
> That's probably of some significance -- that it boots from the CD OK.

Definitely an item worthy of note.  However, I don't believe that would be
enough to rule out bad memory.  At least not in my book.

--
Jamin W. Collins