Re: Snooping

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:39:46PM +0100, Hereward Cooper wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Can anyone suggest a program that will enable me to surf the net from
| within an 'untrusted' network without the risk of being snooped on? I
| was thinking about something that will run apache-ssl, and I tell it
| what page I what to visit.
|
| i.e. http://host.trustednetwork/encrypt.php?url=www.debian.org
       ^^^^^

Whatever that host (host.trustednetwork) returns is unencrypted.

| I then get the normally non-ssl debian site, encrypted in ssl, and no
| one within the untrusted network can see what I'm doing.
| Does this sound plausable?

It is plausible as long as you can guarantee that ALL links through
untrusted areas are encrypted, and none of those links pass through a
store-and-forward type of "router".  (eg proxies and other things that
have the permission to decrypt, then recrypt, the stream)

-D

--

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be

Jabber ID : dman@dman.ddts.net