Re: Palm Pilot

"Stephen A. Witt" <sawitt@zeus.rsc.raytheon.com> writes:
> I'm running woody and have just been handed a Palm Pilot at work. I'm not
> really sure I want the thing, but thought I would check it out.

  I felt the same way. Now I can't live without it.

> I was
> going to install a syncing application with my woody desktop, but found
> there were several palm pilot apps in the distribution. Is a question like
> 'which is the best one to use?' relevant? Anyone using Palm's that could
> provide some advice?

  It's a relevant question. However, the choice really depends on what
  apps you want to sync with (if any) and whether there is a conduit
  available for it.

  I used to use Pilotmanager but switched to jpilot which offered a Palm
  lookalike desktop. It also syncs the clock on the Palm, the calendar
  has a little datebk4 support (wish it had more!), it is easy to
  install apps outside of jpilot via cron (e.g., plucker). Otherwise, I
  don't use any conduits.

  I would suggest playing with them all, and see which one does what you
  want and feels the best.

  Maybe you can write up your experiences and post them here. I recently
  switched browsers and kept a few notes (http://www.newt.com/browsers/).

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!