Re: VmWare on Woody

Em Qua, 2002-06-12 às 10:20, Helgi Örn Helgason escreveu:
> On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 14:28, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 01:46:46PM +0200, Helgi ?rn wrote:
> > > I've never before installad a package with RPM in Debian, are there some
> > > weird oddities combined with that?
> >
> > Never do that. Use alien if you can't find a non-RPM version of the
> > package.
> >
> Please explain why RPM shouldn't be used when it's there?
> The Linux (rpm)package is not dist-specific AFAIK and RPM is installed
> in Woody so why not?

The dependences are not correctly checked.
rpm will check against other installed RPMs,
dpkg checks against installed DEBs.
If you want the dependance checking system to work correctly you
must use one installation system only, and it is much better
to use dpkg (.DEBs) because 1) it is much better then rpm, 2) it is the
default of Debian.

Michel.