syslogd-listfiles

I see syslogd-listfiles and savelog at heart of /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd.
Are these methods unique to Debian?  I use RH6.1 and Mandrake 8.1 and they do
not have syslogd-listfiles or savelog commands.

On my RH6.1 systems (slated for migration to Debian)  the logrotate facility
is used to in the logrotate script in /etc/cron.daily.  I had to add
/etc/rc.d.init.d/syslog restart to get new files handles for the loggers.
The Mandrake 8.1 system is same.

I notice that sysklogd does the restart.  It's appears that I have solved a
problem the Debians solved in 1998.  Grrrrrr.

Can someone explain why Debian does not use the logrotate facility to rotate
the log files?  Is savelog a better logrotate with compressing at cycle 1
instead of 0.  In sysklogd what are the permission changes for in files
listed with "syslogd-listfiles --auth"?

TIA