Re: Debian is not GNU [at least current GNU]

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@attbi.com> writes:

> As to the specific awk issue, when we made the choice mawk worked better on
> more scripts than gawk did.  This may have changed in the last 2 years or so
> but was still valid when potato came out.

Err, no.  Mawk is the default because (since awk is a (virtual)
essential package,) it's important that the required/base version be
as as small as possible.  mawk does _not_ work better on scripts,
compared to gawk.  mawk is dead upstream and has been for several
years; it has several outstanding (non-trivial to fix) bugs that won't
be addresses any time soon.  gawk on the other hand is actively
maintained upstream and has almost no outstanding (non-packaging) bugs
I'm aware of.

If you're going to feed the trolls, at least feed them well... :-P

--
James