RE: Debian is not GNU [at least current GNU]

On 11-Jun-2002 Dan Jacobson wrote:
> [Debian's default installation gives 2 year old emacs and 6 year old
> non-GNU awk, while sporting the "GNU/Linux" branding]

> ask/inform the user that he is not getting current official GNU tools
> despite the GNU on the box, and in some cases [awk] he isn't even
> getting a GNU tool.

let's diffuse this one right here.

The GNU/ in GNU/Linux refers to the fact that Debian uses a Linux kernel and
the GNU tools to make a coherent OS that most people refer to as "Linux".
Which version of these tools is largely irrelevant for this purpose.  That we
ship non GNU tools as well is also largely a non-issue.  It is better to give
the user stability and security.

As to the specific awk issue, when we made the choice mawk worked better on
more scripts than gawk did.  This may have changed in the last 2 years or so
but was still valid when potato came out.

as to the emacs version 20 was out a LONG time I still know emacs users who
haven't upgraded.  For most new users emacs20 is just as good as 21.  The two
large changes in 21 for newbies were a better X front end and console font
locking.  Not to mention the fact that the books people will buy MIGHT support
20 many are still for 19.