Re: Debian is not GNU [at least current GNU]

Dan wrote:

I'm thinking of the most basic user that sees the shiny GNU/Linux
label and, thinking that debian is "more GNU" than the other Linux
distributions, chooses debian, only to find out that if he wants GNU
versions [gawk], or current versions [emacs21] he must do fancy
maneuvers [apt-get].  Why not put the fancy maneuvers burden on the
experts?

I'd hardly call those actions 'fancy maneuvres'. Anyone that wants to
be able to customise their install, should know how to install new
packages. Anyone that is aware that he has 'old' tools, is capable of
finding out how to install new packages. Anyone that isn't capable
of finding out how to install packages, isn't capable of using Debian
anyway.

You are aiming at the people who's brief brush with Linux is to make a
web server work and be done with it.

As far as I have understood from previous discussions, the people contributing
to the Debian project are not interested in popularity. They are certainly not
'aiming at the people ... '. If you think Debian should be attractive to those
users, why don't _you_ do something about it?

sincerely,

Ivo Wever

I.J.W.Wever@student.tnw.tudelft.nl