Re: Woody NVIDIA X Setup

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 08:19:12PM -0700, Rusty Minden wrote:

> I have had Debian installed two times and have not yet been able too get X
> working right. I found a mini how to but have not tried it out yet. At
> http://games.luv.asn.au/lsd/nvidia-mini-howto.html  Is this up to date? Any
> help would be
> appreciated. I have decided to move over to Debian after working with SuSE up
> till 8.0 They took out YAST and now you have to use YAST2 and I don't like
> it. If I have to change over I wanted too move to Debian :-)

I installed Debian two weeks ago for the first time. I can't
remember any particulars of getting X to work (making the display
pretty is a different matter, but that is Debian unspecific). So it
is doable.

However I don't intend to play games on this system at least for
now. I am not sure if OpenGL will work out of the box (.deb). In
fact I think you will have to download those drivers directly from Nvidia.

On a related note: apart from the manual installation of those
drivers, is there another reason not to go for the Nvidia
3d-drivers? Is there any chance that installing those OpenGL drivers
will make X less stable in normal 2d/desktop mode. I will not risk
the stability of my system for any game.

Bob