Re: Swapfile

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:07:04PM +0200, Jens Karsten Müller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today i created a swapfile instead of a partition, because i think
> it's more dynamic. I only see advantages using a swapfile. So first of
> all, I'd like to know about disadvantages, because almost everybody
> uses a swap partition. And finally I need to know what to change on my
> potato. I just wrote the following line into /etc/init.d/mountall.sh:
> swapon /swapfile
>
> This does work, but I'm not sure whether this is the right place for
> it. So is there a better place for it?

Put it in /etc/fstab.  The reason people tend to use a dedicated
partition is it can be a little faster (even better if it's on a lesser
used disk).

Example fstab entry:

# extra swapfile
/var/local/swapfile none      swap   sw,pri=1   0  0

When mountall.sh runs, it'll pick up the entry...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>