Re: Window Manager

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:53:35PM -0400, Aravind Vinnakota wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I installed Debian 2.2r6 on my Sun Ultra sparc 5. And I think I made the
> twm window manager as the default window manager while installing, which
> is not user friendly. So, I am wondering whether I can change to a
> different window manager without actually installing the OS again. I have
> no idea how I can move to a different window manager. Any suggestions?
> Please cc me as I am not in either of the mailing lists.

Aravind,

Sure,  with debian you can use apt-get to install window manager(s) of
your choice.

Try the command "apt-cache search window manager | less" for a list of
choices. (plug: I like blackbox)

Once installed, you can specify which window manager to use thru
many means; on a per user basis, an easy way is to add

 "exec /path/to/manager" as the last line in a ~/.xsession file

(don't include the "s)

have a lot of fun!

aloha,
dave