Re: Problem: wall-clock jumping like Mexican bean

Damien <iam@home.net> writes:

> The problem must have occurred often enuff to other people, IMHO, but I
> can't find the solution online. My 'wall-clock' (as xscreensaver calls it
> in the error messages) keeps jumping ahead -- then back, semi-randomly. It
> seems to do so by always the same amount(?): @ 1 hr 11 minutes.

I assume you aren't running an NTP daemon and that there are no
messages in the logs about the time being stepped forward or back.

Does "@" mean "approximately"?  Is it closer to one hour, eight
minutes, and 16 seconds?  That would be 4096 seconds, and a most
suspicious number of seconds to be jumping.

Does it jump back and forth between two values, or does it jump
several times in the same direction (so it quickly becomes many hours
off)?

If it's jumping continually back and forth by 4096 seconds, I'd guess
you have a bad SIMM.  One bit (which just happens to be where your
kernel is storing the time-of-day clock) isn't being reliably set, and
you see jumps forward and backward every 20 or 30 times (seconds) the
kernel bumps the seconds counter.

If this is the case, you might try swapping SIMMs around.  However,
I'd suggest labelling their original positions very carefully.  If the
problem does "disappear", you want to be able to get back to where you
can reliably reproduce it and eliminate the offending SIMM.

--
Kevin Buhr <buhr@telus.net>