ntop does not preserve traffic stats

I'm using ntop to monitor network traffic. ntop does not preserve the
traffic stats over a reboot (which is crucial because the machine is
not up all day). Whenever I look at the traffic stats page of web
interface after a reboot, the figures are reset to 0.

I understand that I need to start it with -S 1. I configured it with
debconf and in /etc/ntop/init.cfg there is indeed SAVE="1". It should
save the stats with this setting, shouldn't it?

All pointers appreciated.

--
Philipp Lehman  <lehman@gmx.net>