Subject: Devfs & /dev  permission persistence
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:53:06 -0400
From: "Luo, Ling" <Ling.Luo@usa.xerox.com>
To: devfs@oss.sgi.com

According to the devfs.readme, I disabled the devfs automount at boot time
to enable dev file permission persistence to work( with /dev-state etc,
etc). However doing that brought up  the "Unable to open initial console"
warning message, it also messed up my serial console output( undecipherable
symbols jam the whole screen while rebooting). I tried the proposed
solution: a hack to the init program( I have initctl file under /dev
before). It didn't change the outcome.

Alternatively, I reenabled the automounting devfs at boot time, commented
out  "mount --bind /dev-state /dev" in the rc scripts, and left the
permission persistence configurations enabled in the devfsd.conf. Everything
seem to work fine now: dev file permission persistence is working, "Unable
to open initial console" warning is gone, and my serial console output is
back to normal. Since this is different from what was suggested in the
readme, just want to make sure this won't have other side effects.

Ling