Re: HD dead with /usr

on Sat, May 11, 2002, Ricardo Fitzgerald (axis@movinet.com.uy) wrote:
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fix your system clock.

> Hi,
>
> One of my Hds went dead, along with my /usr, I still have the apps in
> /var/cache/apt/available, is there a way to recover that /usr or I
> have to reinstall and configure woody again ?

Your options are:

  - Revive the drive.  Depending on how it died, this may or may not be
    possible.  You provide no details of the type of failure, so I can't
    be any more specific.

  - Restore from your backups.

  - Get a new drive, put a base Debian system on it, update packages
    from your current package list, and add your other disks to this
    system.  It helps greatly to have /usr and /usr/local seperated in
    this instance.  This is my own partitioning recommendation:

	http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

     Note that the configuration required should be relatively minimal.

Peace.