Re: apache and suexec breaks my cgi script

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 12:20:27AM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

| I've been beating my head into a wall trying to figure out why my
| "hello world" cgi script won't run.  It turns out that disabling
| suexec (which is enabled by default in the apache package) makes the
| problems vanish.  Now I want to know what is causing the problem.

The prize for identifying the cause of the problem goes to Simon Tneoh
Chee-Boon.  He mailed me off-list with this snippet (and the
corresponding comment) from suexec.h :

#ifndef USERDIR_SUFFIX
#define USERDIR_SUFFIX "public_html"
#endif

Well, I had changed the user dir to ~/public/html in httpd.conf, but
apparently suexec has the old path hard-wired in.  That causes it to
bomb.  I also can't change the binary at all or else apache doesn't
enable it.  I could _probably_ rebuild the whole apache package and
install that, but that seems like too much work.  At least disabling
suexec makes the problem go away.

For those that are curious, I chose the ~/public/* organization to
allow for other "public" stuff to be put in ~/public.  Eg
~/public/samba, ~/public/ftp,
~/public/whatever-else-I-find-that-isn't-served-by-apache.

-D

--

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you
rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and